Heavy rains, flash floods around world in 2021
More than 150 people killed, over 650 injured as worst flooding in more than 200 years hits Germany
The year 2021 saw many deadly flooding and flash floods, caused by heavy rains around the world, affecting millions of lives.
Here are details of the flash floods around the world in 2021 compiled by Anadolu Agency:
- At least five people are killed in floods south of Luzon island, located at the northern end of the Philippines.
- At least three people are killed, and over 36,000 have been evacuated in Malaysia due to floods caused by monsoon rains that have hit the country since the beginning of the year.
- Thirteen people are killed and 20 are injured in heavy rains that have ravaged various parts of Rwanda since the beginning of the year.
- Floods inundate 11 regencies and cities in Indonesia's South Kalimantan province, killing at least 21 people and displacing 63,608 people.
- Heavy rains inundate a refugee camp in Syria's northwestern Afrin district, according to reports.
- Heavy rainfall in western Turkey floods parts of Izmir province, leaves two people dead.
- Twenty-four Moroccans are killed when a textile factory in Tangiers is inundated with rainwater, according to state-run Maghreb Arab Press.
- More than 180 people are still missing in major floods that hit northern India two days after a piece of a Himalayan glacier broke off, as the death toll now reaches 28, officials confirm.
- Heavy monsoon rains cause massive flooding in Indonesia's capital Jakarta, with parts of the city, submerge under 1.2 to 2.7 meters (3.9 to 8.8 feet) of water.
- More than 100,000 people are affected by flooding in the state of Acre, in northwestern Brazil, after rivers in the region broke their bank fins the last week, according to reports.
- A flash flood kills at least seven people and leaves three others missing in Algeria's Chlef Province.
- Heavy rains cause floods and landslides in western Colombia, killing at least seven people and affecting thousands of families.
- Four people are killed, and houses and infrastructures are damaged, as heavy rains cause severe flash flooding in the cities of Kinshasa and Brazzaville in the Republic of Congo.
- Nearly 18,000 people are forced to flee their homes after torrential rains hit New South Wales, Australia, causing severe flooding in many parts of the state as the country sees the worst floods since 1971.
- As many as 45 people are killed, 23 are injured, and three are missing in floods caused by heavy rains in Colombia, says the country's national disaster body.
- At least 44 people are killed and seven others are missing after flash floods and landslides swept through an island in southern Indonesia.
- Severe flooding hits Queensland's southeast in Australia due to heavy rains, killing at least four people.
- At least 14 people are killed, over 8,000 are displaced after flash floods hit Luanda, Angola.
- Heavy rain and thunderstorms hit cities across southern Saudi Arabia, as the holy city of Mecca is affected by flash flooding after heavy rains.
- At least 19 people are killed in flash floods caused by heavy rains in Afghanistan's western Herat province.
- Severe flash floods in Iran kill at least 10 people as Yazd, Kerman and South Khorasan provinces are worst-affected.
- At least 25 people are killed and 25,000 are affected after heavy rains hit parts of Somalia, including the capital Mogadishu.
- Heavy rains and flash floods in Afghanistan kill at least 84 people and destroy more than 2,500 homes.
- Nearly 70 homes are damaged or destroyed, while around 500 people are affected by severe flooding in Cuenca, capital of Azuay province in Ecuador.
- Recent floods in Somalia's southern province of Middle Shabelle displace thousands of families and destroy crops on vast agricultural land.
- At least 17 people are killed with more than 210,000 are affected, as flash floods and landslides hit several regions of Sri Lanka.
- Three people are killed in flash floods in Solola Department in Guatemala, according to the authorities.
- Flash floods caused by heavy rains kill 10 people and injure five others in Bhutan, with seven people still missing.
- At least two people are killed in western Texas, the US, following heavy rain and flooding.
- At least two people are killed and three others are missing after flooding and landslides triggered by heavy rain hit Turkey's Black Sea region.
- More than 150 people are killed and over 650 are injured as the worst flooding in more than 200 years hits Germany.
- Severe flooding caused by torrential rains kills at least 56 people in the central Henan province of China.
- At least 40 people are killed in flash floods caused by torrential rains in Afghanistan's mountainous eastern Nuristan province.
- A new wave of floods due to heavy rains hit Turkey’s northern Black Sea provinces, leaving an elderly woman missing and injuring 13 others.
- Ethiopia’s capital Addis Ababa may face more floods due to heavy torrential rains, a government agency warns, as eight people are killed in flash flooding.
- The death toll from floods in Turkey's Black Sea region rises to 82.
- At least 22 people are killed, while search and rescue efforts continue for 45 missing people as flash floods sweep through the US state of Tennessee.
- More than 100,000 people from nearly 20,000 families are affected by floods in at least 12 of Bangladesh’s 64 districts.
- As parts of Spain recover from storm-induced flash floods, other areas of the country, including the Balearic Islands, are bracing for another bout of severe weather.
- At least four people are killed after flash floods damage hundreds of houses in Mexico.
- Heavy rains and flooding kill five people, injure over 50, and displace nearly 70,000 in several parts of Guinea.
- Severe flooding kills four people and damages homes in Nigeria's capital Abuja and the Federal Capital Territory.
- At least 10 people are killed, 1,300 are evacuated, and some 1.2 million people are affected as days of heavy rainfall caused rivers to overflow in India’s West Bengal state.
- Flooding in the US state of Alabama kills at least four people, including a child.
- At least 15 people are killed and three others are missing after incessant rainfall triggers flooding in China’s northern Shanxi province.
- The death toll from flash floods and landslides in the southern Indian state of Kerala rises to 28.
- The death toll from last week's flash floods and landslides in northern India rises to 72.
- Heavy rains lash Bosnia and Herzegovina, causing floods.
- Flash floods in East Java, Indonesia, kill at least six people.
- More than a week of heavy rain in Sri Lanka causes floods that kill at least 22 people and displace over 5,000 others, the island nation’s Disaster Management Centre (DMC) says.
- A state of emergency is declared in the Canadian province of British Columbia after heavy rains that cause floods and mudslides.
- Storm Barra causes flooding, landslides, strong winds, and heavy precipitation in northern Spain, killing one.
- At least 14 people are dead in floods in Malaysia.
- Flooding in Syrian refugee camps leaves thousands of families devastated.